Friday, January 18, 2013

Cheese and Apples Bagel


Putting apple slices on a sandwich is apparently something Stephen learned when he worked at the cafe where we first met. So, this weekend when I told him I had this insane sandwich idea . . . and then told him it involved bagels, apples, basil, and cheese, he wasn't exactly blown away. Regardless, the combination may be new to you. And even if it isn't, it's definitely worth making for lunch someday soon.

Some of you may have missed my post about this week. I'm planning to write up one post each day as a food diary. Originally, I wanted to see how my diet is out of balance. And I still plan to do that . . . somewhat. However, after having the entire weekend to think about (and deal with the consequences for -- see When a Workout Doesn't Work Out) my less-than-stellar eating habits, I simply can't continue them for the sake of examination. I'm going to try to eat well, starting today. But this doesn't mean my intake won't be flawed. So, again, stay tuned for the first installment later today.


What you'll need . . . (for one sandwich)
  • Multigrain bagel
  • Apple (I used a Gala)
  • 2 large basil leaves
  • Cheddar or pepper-jack cheese
  • Spicy brown mustard





Method . . .
  1. Toast your bagel lightly. Set aside. Then turn on your broiler.
  2. Slice the apple and cheese into thin slices. Then, pile ingredients -- including the basil -- onto each bagel half as shown above.
  3. Put sandwich in broiler until cheese is lightly brown and bubbly.
  4. Top with mustard and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment